2012 - Present
VP of Operations / Kalkomey Enterprises, Inc.
2011 - Present
VP of Engineering / ShopSavvy Inc.
Hired as the company was closing its first Series A round of $7M in funding, and charged with growing and maturing the engineering team.
In this role, I:
• Grew the team from 3 engineers to 12 engineers and 2 designers
• Responsible for hiring, building and maintaining the corporate culture not only in the original Dallas office, but also for a newly opening San Francisco office
• Introduced and implemented a Scrum Agile development process, pushing the team into 2-‐week sprints for all (iPhone, Android, Windows Phone 7, iPad and web) products
• Hired and built an offshore QA team in India, including setting the base test suites for the team to build from
• Managed and oversaw the prioritization of the product roadmap based on the direction of the main business stakeholders, including iPhone, Android, Windows Phone 7, iPad and our Web product
• Ported the existing ad delivery system from Ruby on Rails to .NET after we had scaling issues with traffic. After the port, the system was handling 150+ requests/second without any problems
• Set the direction for the architecture and technical standards for the company, going forward; maintaining a sound, consistent direction for an otherwise chaotic technology stack
• Created a formal reporting warehouse using Cassandra and Hadoop, building our regular reporting infrastructure and ETL jobs,
• Built a suite of web-‐based reports built in ASP.NET MVC and jQuery, hitting against Hive
• Continued build out of business KPI’s using Pig UDF’s against Hadoop for map-reduce jobs
2010 - Present
Director of Development, Fraud Prevention / Match.com
* Hired to lead a newly formed department that was created through the consolidation of fraud controls from various other departments throughout the company.
* In this role, I managed a team of 6 developers, 3 fraud analysts, and 11 fraud inspectors
* Managed the fraud inspection team to try to have 24-hour coverage for fraud review and action, so as not to leave gaps for would-be fraudsters to know when we were, and weren't, at work
* WIth the development team, I executed against a roadmap that would go on to create a large set of various fraud tools and strategies to allow the creation of queues of Match.com users to be reviewed for fraud, by our inspectors
* With the Analysts, I worked with them to understand and capture the various techniques in which they employed to find fraudsters, driving those techniques into software-based solutions to better automate and scale our processes as a company
* From all of this, I created two patents to add to the company's IP portfolio, regarding fraud fighting techniques
2009 - Present
Director of Technology / D Magazine
* Set the technology tone for the company, building up our own internal technology team, and transitioning all projects from outsourced consulting firms.
* Transitioned all DMagazine hosting to Rackspace managed hosting, to allow for better scalability within the company and team.
* Accessed the stability and weak points within our systems, and put together a technology roadmap to push us into the future.
* Created our own proprietary directory system (http://directory.dmagazine.com) to act as a true product for the business to sell to customers, and to begin integrating throughout our online systems.
* Created the survey system that handles all DMagazine online polls, such as Dallas' Most Beautiful competitions.
* Maintained and further developed on the SiteCore CMS system that ran the main DMagazine.com site.
* Built the integration endpoints for SiteCore to allow other DMagazine sites to pull content from our main site easily and seamlessly.
* Built and maintained the various DMagazine Wordpress blogs.
* Administered and managed all Linux (RHEL) servers serving our blog traffic.
2009 - Present
Board Member, Technical Advisor / Ariesnet
As a Board Member of Ariesnet, I worked with them to help reevaluate their current go to market strategy, helping align their new strategy with Social Media and setting them on a new course.
I worked with the team to evaluate their current vendor partnerships and identified new partnerships with other leading CMS vendors, creating deep relationships with key Executives at Sitecore, and established Ariesnet as a go-to partner in the region.
Worked with Ariesnet and Sitecore to help build a partner pipeline of opportunities, working the sales efforts on each towards closure and engagement. In this time I pushed and closed three different Sitecore engagements through this partner channel, clearly establishing a new marketing direction, partnership and revenue stream for the previously struggling consulting firm.
2004 - Present
Chief Technology Officer / Telligent Systems
Co-founded Telligent with a friend from Microsoft, Rob Howard, and grew the business from the two of us to roughly 150 employees, $15 million in revenue, and raising $20 million Series A venture capital from Intel Capital.
Responsibilities varied to all aspects of the business, including:
Oversaw and directed all technical departments within the company including Professional Services, Product Development, Product Management, IT and Support.
Worked with Product Management to maintain a living roadmap of product features, constantly re-prioritizing features based on customer feedback and industry opportunities.
Worked with the Sales team to be on sales calls to help find and close business.
Flew out to the different sales regions monthly for one week to make rounds with customers in that area, updating them on the current roadmap, gathering all feedback on their product/services experience, and then insuring that feedback was brought back to the company and departments for action.
Coordinated with Marketing on all technical aspects needed, including reading, spot-checking and reviewing any technical references in marketing materials.
2002 - Present
Lead Application Developer / Match.com
Worked as one of five architects that helped to redesign, build and migrate Match.com from ASP to .NET 1.1 and C#. During that time, lead a small team of 5 developers to build the search and matching functions of the website, including My Matches, Search, Advanced Search, User Name Search, and Refine Search.
2001 - Present
Senior Technology Officer / JPMorganChase Bank
Managed a small team of 3 developers to build a Visual Basic application talking to an Oracle database. This application was deployed internationally throughout the world for all the various Chase market managers to track and manage all rules, aspects and specifics about trading or investing in the various world markets.
1999 - Present
Manager, Application Development / AIVIA
Managed a team of roughly 20 developers for various consulting engagements at all levels: working as the architect to design and guide the Lead Developers in direction of a solution, coming in to knock out a really tough technical problem, handling the database administration and development where specific teams didn't have the experience, and, of course, managing the teams, timelines, priorities and proposals going in and out of the company.
1999 - Present
Senior Database Administrator / Software Spectrum, Inc.
This was my first exposure as a DBA with enterprise-level integration, and orders of magnitude larger sizes of data. Here, I was responsible for the Microsoft SQL Server servers used for the website, and the integration processes (using Perl and MKS Toolkit) between the internal POS Sybase databases. Later, when they realized I could also code, I was brought into the web development team to also work to help with the Site Server integration of LDAP/ADSI for membership, as well as building a custom site for Microsoft to handle a new licensing program for Microsoft software called MLO (Microsoft Licensing Online).
1997 - Present
Senior Database Programmer Analyst / BlueCross BlueShield of Texas
Working as a DBA/Programmer hybrid, I build applications using Visual Basic, and Access Forms to create healthcare applications to help automate and streamline various HCFA/HIPAA compliance rules and policies for the Medicare industry.
1996 - Present
Database Administrator / Audionet